|The OCULUS Easyfield C perimeter is one of the smallest full-fledged perimeters on the market.|
Visual field testing is key to diagnosing and managing glaucoma; here are five perimeters that are advancing the technology.
Standard Automated Perimetry (SAP) has been the go-to for evaluation of visual fields since the 1970s. Recent advances have reduced testing times and increased accuracy to detect glaucoma earlier and see even the subtlest progression of the disease. Plus, software and testing algorithms, such as Swedish Threshold Interactive Algorithm (SITA), SITA Fast, and FastPAC continue to evolve. Manufacturers have stayed on top of their technology game to keep us on top of patient care.
1. CenterVue’s Compass Fundus Automated Perimeter has the capability of capturing a true-color confocal image of the retina during visual field testing, enabling a correlation between visual function and retinal structure. Sensitivity can be measured at specific retinal locations, and reliability is enhanced due to retina-tracking that allows for compensation of eye movements.
2. Haag-Streit’s most advanced perimeter is the Octopus 900. It has multiple testing modes””SAP, Short Wavelength Automated Perimeter, Flicker and Goldmann Kinetic””and accounts for patient eye movements and blinks. Its testing algorithm allows for a full threshold test to be performed in 2 Â½ minutes, and its novel data analysis includes a Bebié curve analysis.
3. The Heidelberg Edge Perimeter (HEP) from Heidelberg Engineering operates both as SAP and as a Flicker-Defined-Form (FDF) perimeter. The sensitivity of a patient to phase reversal of black and white dots is analyzed at various retinal points. Field defects in FDF perimetry have been found to correlate to structural defects noted in Heidelberg’s HRT and SPECTRALIS OCT. Additionally, Heidelberg’s HEYEX software can combine OCT and HRT data with data from the perimeter.
4. The OCULUS Easyfield C perimeter is one of the smallest full-fledged perimeters on the market. This EHR-ready visual field perimeter is suitable for screening and full threshold exams. Its unique SPARK strategy makes it possible to perform threshold perimetry in under three minutes. Novel testing and data analysis programs are available to improve the evaluation of glaucoma patients and suspects. The Easyfield C comes with the glaucoma staging program and the glaucoma progression analysis software.
5. Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc. has recently revamped its popular Humphrey Field Analyzer, the HFA3. In addition to the usual wide range of HFA tests and analyses, the HFA3 features new
“Liquid Lens” technology to automatically deliver a patient’s refractive correction, a new SmartTouch graphical user interface, and RelEYE, a technology that allows a patient’s eye position to be reviewed at any stimulus point. A new kinetic graphical user interface allows for kinetic visual field testing up to 180Âº. Zeiss’s FORUM software provides improved integration of multiple visual field reports with data from OCT and fundus photos.
Matthew Bovenzi, OD, FAAO, is an assistant clinical professor at SUNY College of Optometry.
WHERE TO FIND IT:
Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc.
800.342.9821 | meditec.zeiss.com/usa