|The Oculus Keratograph 5M corneal topographer provides data on three different measures of ocular irritation.|
|Using BlephEx can help your patients maintain and improve normal tear function and avoid contact lens intolerance.|
|TearScience’s LipiView Ocular Surface Interferometer is an imaging device that captures, archives, manipulates, and stores digital images of the tear film.|
Innovations have transformed the way we diagnose and treat ocular surface disease.
We have seen a veritable explosion in the understanding of dry eye disease. There is much greater interest in its management as well as a significant increase in the variety and value of diagnostic technology available. Several new technologies have transformed the way I manage and diagnose dry eye disease.
- TearScience’s LipiView‘ Ocular Surface Interferometer is an imaging device that captures, archives, manipulates, and stores digital images of the tear film, which are then used to measure the absolute thickness of the tear film lipid layer down to nanometer levels. The recently announced LipiView II utilizes a light-emitting lid everter that illuminates the meibomian glands from multiple angles.
- LipiFlow‘ Thermal Pulsation System, also from TearScience, utilizes a patented activator to apply controlled heat to the inner eyelid with adaptive pressure to clear blocked meibomian glands.
- The Oculus Keratograph‘ 5M is a corneal topographer that includes a feature for meibography, non-invasive tear film break-up time, and tear meniscus height measurement. When speaking to patients, I refer to it as an “x-ray” of the meibomian glands. Approximately 90% of patients with dry eye have MGD.
- TearLab’s Osmolarity System measures the amount of salt in tears. A test card collects tear fluid from the eyelid margin, and the system calculates tear osmolarity and reveals a measurement on its LCD display.
- Nicox S.A.’s Sjö is an advanced blood test that can be administered in-office or ordered as a lab test to detect Sjögren’s syndrome, a common cause of dry eye. The test is highly sensitive and extremely accurate.
- Nova Bay Pharma’s iLid Cleanser, soon to be renamed Avenova, contains hypochlorous acid, a substance that the body’s white cells produce to counter bacteria. When applied to the eyelids, hypochlorous acid not only kills bacteria but also inactivates their toxins and degrades enzymes which is very useful for patients with blepharitis. iLid neutralizes the enzymes that disrupt the lipid layer adding to dry eye symptoms in MGD.
- BlephExâ„¢ is a hand piece that spins a medical grade micro-sponge along the edge of the eyelids and lashes to remove debris and exfoliate the biofilm. It removes the scurf and collarettes that can occupy the lids in blepharitis patients. In MGD, it removes epithelial overgrowth and plugging of meibomian glands orifices more efficiently than manual removal.
Arthur Epstein is the director of Cornea – External Disease and Clinical Research at Phoenix Eye Care and The Dry Eye Center of Arizona.
WHERE TO FIND IT:
BlephEx, LLC •800-257-9787 •BlephEx.com
NovaBay Pharma •510-899-8800 •novabay.com
Nicox S.A. •855-MY-NICOX •nicox.com
Oculus, Inc. •888-284-8004 •oculususa.com
TearLab •855-832-7522 •tearlab.com
TearScience, Inc. •919-467-4007 •tearscience.com