RIGHTEYE SYSTEM GETS FDA CLEARANCE
RightEye LLC has received 510(k) clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for its RightEye system for recording, viewing and analyzing eye movements in support of identifying visual tracking impairment in patients. The system includes RightEye EyeQ tests, reports and training tools. Applications include:
• RightEye functional vision test, which helps identify a host of functional vision issues that affect quality of life and automatically recommends computer-based exercises for patients to do at home.
• RightEye Reading EyeQ, which tracks reading proficiency in real time, identifying hidden vision issues associated with learning difficulties.
• RightEye Sports Vision EyeQ, which identifies opportunities to strengthen performance-related aspects of vision, while Sports Vision Trainer offers personalized exercises to athletes looking to improve coordination and reaction times.
• RightEye Brain Health EyeQ, which showcases the severity levels of vision skill problems and how this may relate to brain performance. It also provides computer-based vision exercises to help address oculomotor issues.
Go to RightEye.com.
I-MED OFFERS NEW DRY EYE PRODUCTS
I-MED Pharma Inc. has signed an exclusive distribution agreement with Quidel Corp. to bring these three dry eye products to the U.S.:
• I-LID ’N LASH, a water-based cleanser with hydrating ingredients and hyaluronic acid used to soothe inflamed skin around the eyes and remove make-up. It is available in a 50mL metered dose pump that can be used for up to 12 months after opening or a jar of 60 pre-soaked wipes that can be used for up to six months after opening.
• I-RELIEF HOT & COLD THERAPY EYE MASK, which can be used for patients who have blepharitis, dry eye disease, meibomian gland dysfunction, and various other conditions. The mask features temperature-retaining and naturally hydrating ThermaBeads, an elastic strap for a comfortable fit, adjustable closure for proper compression and soft cloth fabric. It is latex free, non-allergenic and antibacterial, and a machine-washable fabric slipcover protects the mask from oils, makeup and dirt.
• SMTube, a strip meniscometry test for measuring tear volume. SMTube is a tube used as a diagnostic method to examine and measure tear function by absorbing the tears. The test takes five seconds per eye and is non-invasive. The box contains 50 strips. Go to IMEDPharma.com.
OPTILANES MAKES ROOM FOR WHEELCHAIRS
OptiLanes offers a fully automated chair that pivots to make room for a wheelchair to sit in the same position. The base remains in the same spot, but controls on each side of the back of the chair allow you to lay the chair down flat, move it up and down, and return it to the original position. You can also operate the chair by foot pedals, the stand console or a switch on the slit lamp arm. A second switch on the slit lamp arm raises and lowers the slit lamp, and a knob on the phoropter arm lets you move the phoropter up or down an extra three inches. Both the chair and stand are motor driven, and the stand has three hand tool wells. An emergency stop lever under the slit lamp table stops the table’s motion when activated to prevent injury to the doctor’s or patient’s legs. Go to OptiLanes.com.
OCULUS INTRODUCES COMPACT PERIMETER
The Smartfield compact perimeter from OCULUS performs standard automated perimetry using an ultra-high luminance LCD display. Its short measurement times make it suited for standard screening methods. In addition, the control software offers a wide array of state-of-the-art measurement procedures for diagnostic and follow-up examinations. The new OCULUS perimeter requires little set-up space, can be operated in rooms with normal lighting conditions and, with its carrying handle, is portable. It comes with a translucent lateral eye shield, eliminating the need for an eyepatch, and patients with presbyopia require no refractive correction prior to testing. Go to OculusUSA.com.
KONAN OFFERS NEW VISUAL FIELD TECHNOLOGY
Konan Medical USA has received 510(k) clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for objectiveFIELD, a perimeter designed to assess the human visual field in a completely objective and non-contact manner with no manual input from the patient required. The objectiveFIELD, which Konan acquired from the Australian National University (ANU), uses a patented multifocal pupil objective perimetry method (mfPOP) to test both eyes simultaneously in only a few minutes. The company plans to offer additional features with supportive data as regulatory requirements are met.” Go to KonanMedical.com.
DIGITAL HEAT INTRODUCES SCORPION 1-TOUCH EYELID HEATER
Digital Heat Corporation’s Scorpion 1-Touch Eyelid Heater, an FDA-cleared medical device, allows for both in-office treatment of dry eye and over-the-counter sale to patients. The Scorpion 1-Touch features three preset time and temperature modes, exerts minimal corneal pressure and is portable. Go to HeatedEyePad.com.