DOCS SPEAK OUT

0

Orthokeratology for Myopia Control

Myopia control has become a very important topic globally. Myopia is a common disorder that is becoming even more common. The prevalence is significantly increasing in Southeast Asia, but there are signs that it is increasing in the U.S. and Europe””especially in young adults. Myopia in children can be controlled with orthokeratology, wearing custom-fitted contact lenses overnight. In fact, orthokeratology, or orthoK, has been found to slow the progression of myopia in children. The majority of ODs in our survey (82%) already prescribe orthoK lenses, and a small few (3%) plan to start in the coming year. That said, it’s not an easy sell to patients. While one doctor responded that money is the major obstacle, it’s not the only one. See below for other hurdles to making orthoK a bigger part of a practice.

 width=

Obstacles to OrthoK? Here’s what some ODs said:
“My patient base is unaware of orthoK. Education has been my biggest obstacle because people will not buy something that is not very well known. I also have problems with terminology­­””there are too many names for orthoK, for example CRT, vision reshaping, nightlens, etc. I think just one name would be easier for educating the public.”

“None. We have been providing this service since overnight wear has been approved by the FDA.”

“The costs to my patients who don’t have a lot of money for such a service and rely on current eyecare plans. Also, many of them don’t think it is too important.”

“The subject is new and patient education is necessary to get parents with preconceived ideas about myopia to understand the possibility of control.”

“The cost and the parental perception that LASIK is a better option.”

“Cost to patients/parents compared to just getting a pair of glasses or a year supply of contact lenses.”

“Cost and concept of rigid lenses; they’re not as quick and easy as soft lenses.”

“Educating parents about the need to control myopia progression and discussing a method that most have never heard of (orthokeratology).”

“For most doctors the obstacles are the same as for any specialty, namely the investments necessary to practice the art.”

“Not every patient comes back for follow-up visits.”

“Parents about 60% of time, since there is too much work/responsibility for them, and the other 40% of the time the child does not want to wear any lenses.”

Share.

Leave A Reply